Chicken Salsa Verde Chili Recipe
Savor the fresh and vibrant flavors of this unique green chicken chili.
Spice up your week with a vibrant bowl of our Green Chicken Chili. Packed with cumin-spiced chicken, zesty jalapeños, and a delightful salsa verde twist, this chili offers a flavorful journey for your taste buds. It's hearty, nourishing and cozy for fall dinner gatherings with friends or family. Get ready to savor the fresh and vibrant flavors of this unique green chicken chili that's bound to become one of your new favorites.
Makes: 4-6 portions
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 40 mins
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ lbs boneless chicken (breast & thigh meat)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- sea salt & pepper for seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 poblano or 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño, minced (seeded if preferred)
- 3 cups chicken bone broth
- 2 cups chopped dino kale
- 1 (16-ounce) can salsa verde or green tomatoes
- 1 (14-ounce) can cannellini beans
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- handful of chopped cilantro
- arrowroot starch for thickening
- sliced avocado
- yogurt or sour cream
- cassava tortilla chips (see note for easy homemade)
- In a large soup pot, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with cumin, sea salt, and pepper. Add the crushed garlic cloves and chicken to the pot. Cook until chicken is browned and cooked through, about 5-6 minutes per side. Remove the cooked chicken from the pot and set it aside.
- In the same pot, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the onions, diced poblano peppers, and minced jalapeño. Sauté until the vegetables are tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the chicken bone broth, chopped dino kale, and salsa verde. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the green broth mixture into the soup pot with the sautéed vegetables. Cut or shred the cooked chicken into bite-sized pieces and stir it into the soup.
- Add the cannellini beans, lime juice, and chopped cilantro to the soup. Stir well and bring the mixture to a simmer. Allow it to simmer for 20 minutes to meld the flavors. Then taste and adjust seasoning as desired, you may want more salt, or more lime, or to round things out with a drizzle of honey.
- Thicken the chili if desired by whisking a tablespoon of arrowroot starch with 2 tablespoons of water. Stir the mixture into the simmering pot and repeat as needed.
- Serve your Verde Chicken Chili warm in a bowl, garnished with sliced avocado, yogurt or sour cream, cassava tortilla chips, fresh cilantro, and a sprinkle of beeya seed cycling blends for even more nourishment.
To make homemade cassava tortilla chips, simply cut cassava tortillas into strips, brush with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt, and bake in a 350°F oven for about 7-11 minutes until lightly golden and crisp.