Pistachio Crusted Cod & Citrus Cauli-Couscous
A beautifully sunny citrusy seafood dinner that’s full of nourishment and bright flavors.
The perfect dish to us is one that can check all three of these boxes at the same time, nourishing, simple, and delicious. And this one does all of that plus one more…It’s absolutely gorgeous!
You may already know that fish is an excellent source of protein and omega-3 fatty acids that support heart, brain, and hormone health, but did you know that cruciferous vegetables, like the cauliflower in our couscous, contain compounds that can help keep estrogen levels in check?
That’s not even all that this dish has to offer for nourishment superpowers – pistachios, one of the star ingredients in the recipe, are also fantastic for gut health. These delicious nuts contain certain fiber that feeds the good bacteria in your gut. They’re also a great way to add some crunch to your cooking while keeping things gluten-free.
If you’re looking for a simple, elegant, and nourishing dish, then give this beautifully sunny citrusy seafood dinner a try.
Makes: 2 servings
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
- 2 cod fillets (or ½ lb cut into two pieces)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- ½ tsp orange zest
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- ⅓ cup roasted salted shelled pistachios, chopped
- sea salt and white pepper for season (black pepper works too)
- 2 cups frozen cauliflower rice
- 1 orange, sectioned and chopped
- 1 small shallot, finely diced
- 1 handful mint leaves, torn
- 1 handful parsley, chopped
- sea salt
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Season the cod fillets with sea salt and white pepper on all sides.
- Add the olive oil, lemon zest, orange zest, and crushed garlic to a small bowl, stir until combined. Brush the tops of the fillets with the zest mixture.
- To coat the tops of the cod fillets with pistachios, dip the zest side of the fillets in a plate of chopped pistachios, press gently to help them stick. Place the fillets pistachio side up on the baking sheet and sprinkle any remaining pistachios over top.
- Bake the cod until it is nearly firm in the center, about 15 minutes.
- To prepare the vinaigrette, combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until combined. Season with a pinch of sea salt.
- For the cauliflower couscous, warm the cauliflower rice in a non-stick pan for a few minutes until warm and no longer wet. Then toss in a bowl with all of the remaining ingredients. Season with sea salt and pour in half of the vinaigrette. Toss to coat.
- To serve, plate a cod fillet along with half of the cauli-couscous, drizzle a little extra vinaigrette over everything. Garnish with additional lemon or orange wedges if desired.
Note: Including enough omega-3s in your diet is one of our favorite ways to help support healthy hormones. If you’re looking for ways to increase your omega-3s then you can easily swap out the cod in this recipe for salmon and it’s just as delicious.