Unveiling the secrets of safer cosmetics.
Navigating the world of safer cosmetics
With summer skin in mind, today we’re delving into the world of cosmetics—specifically, safer cosmetics. If you’ve ever wondered what clean beauty actually means, we’re here to spill the secrets. Spoiler alert: some “natural” cosmetics aren’t as natural as you think. Ultimately, knowledge is power. Time to support a radiant appearance while safeguarding your hormones.
Why safer cosmetics are important
Did you know that many conventional cosmetics contain ingredients that can disrupt hormonal balance? Substances like parabens, phthalates, and synthetic fragrances have been linked to endocrine disruption, which can interfere with your hormones. But by opting for safer cosmetics, you’re both protecting your skin and supporting hormonal equilibrium.
How to choose safer cosmetics
Choosing safer cosmetics may seem like a daunting task—but fear not! We’ve compiled a comprehensive guide to simplify the process for you. From deciphering ingredient labels to identifying trustworthy brands, we've got you covered.
- Be wary of ingredients. First and foremost, get an understanding of potentially harmful ingredients and their side effects.
- Parabens: Synthetic preservatives are often used in cosmetics to extend shelf life. Unfortunately, they can mimic estrogen in the body and potentially lead to estrogen dominance.
- Phthalates: These chemicals are often found in fragrances, nail polishes, and hair sprays. They can interfere with the endocrine system and have been associated with impacting reproductive and developmental health.
- Synthetic fragrances: Oftentimes, fragrances in beauty products contain a mixture of potentially harmful chemicals, including undisclosed ingredients. Opt for products with essential oils and botanical extracts instead.
- Seek reliable certifications. Look for certifications from reputable organizations—USDA Organic, COSMOS, Leaping Bunny, and EWG Verified. These can guide you toward brands that meet higher standards of safety.
- Investigate. Be your own advocate! Investigate the brands you're interested in. Check if they have a commitment to transparency, share their ingredient sourcing, and have a clear stance on safety and testing.
Your clean beauty cheat sheet
When it comes to cosmetics, don’t be fooled by labels. With conventional cosmetics on one end, and non-toxic on the other, here’s a breakdown:
Regular cosmetics: These products are widely available in the market and often contain a mix of synthetic and natural ingredients. While they may provide immediate cosmetic benefits, they may also include potentially harmful substances such as parabens, phthalates, and synthetic fragrances.
All-natural cosmetics: On the other hand, all-natural cosmetics are formulated with ingredients derived from nature, like plant extracts and essential oils. These products aim to minimize the use of synthetic chemicals and prioritize natural ingredients. While they can be a healthier choice, it's important to note that the term "all-natural" is not regulated, so it's essential to read ingredient labels carefully.
Non-toxic cosmetics: These take the concept of safety a step further. They are formulated without potentially harmful substances, including synthetic fragrances, parabens, phthalates, and other known toxins. These products undergo rigorous testing.
Clean cosmetics that *actually* work
Here at beeya, we believe that clean cosmetics and wellness go hand in hand. These are a few beauty brands we have personally tested, researched, and use religiously.
- Juicy Beauty—powerful results with organic ingredients? Yes, please.
- ILIA—ready, set, glow with award-winning makeup.
- 100% Pure—we can’t get enough of their lengthening mascara and bakuchiol moisturizer.
Avoid drinking too much water before bed
Whether you’re a skincare minimalist—or beauty products line your bathroom counter—here’s your gentle nudge to take inventory of your stash. We love using the Think Dirty app to test our products!
This goes without saying, but investing in clean beauty = investing in your health. Doing so minimizes your exposure to potentially harmful ingredients—particularly those that have been linked to endocrine disruption. These chemicals can mimic or interfere with the body's natural hormones, leading to potential imbalances.
Our seed cycling blends can help you feel and do your best!
Our hormones agree that consistency is key 🔑 Learn more about the seed cycling method here!