Curry Spiced Roasted Butternut Soup Recipe
Savor the essence of autumn.
Curry Spiced Roasted Butternut Soup. Caramelized shallots, and fragrant curry spices blend together in velvety coconut milk to create a soup that is the definition of comfort. Top with crispy chickpeas and yogurt for fall perfection.
Serves: 4 bowls
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
- 4 honeynut butternuts OR 1 medium butternut
- 1 large shallot
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 2-3 cups chicken bone broth (veggie broth works to)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil or ghee
- 3 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (adjust to your taste)
- sea salt & black pepper
- crispy roasted chickpeas (*brief how-to for homemade below)
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Split the honeynut squash and scoop out the seeds. Place on a large sheet tray cut side up. Slice the shallot into thick slices, then spread out on one part of the sheet tray. Cut the top off of the garlic head then drizzle oil into it and place cut side down on the sheet tray.
- Drizzle the butternuts and shallots with a bit of olive oil, season with salt and pepper then transfer to the oven and roast until the butternut is pierceable with a fork. Remove the shallots if they begin to burn but they’re extra good if they are nice and caramelized.
- Once the butternut is tender, scoop the flesh into a blender (alternatively you can combine everything in a soup pot and use an immersion blender). Add the shallots and squeeze the roasted garlic out of its peel. Pour in the coconut milk and 1 cup of the chicken broth, it does not need to be warm for this step. Blend until smooth.
- Heat up a bit of olive oil or ghee in a large soup pot together with the curry powder, stir over medium heat until fragrant then pour in the butternut soup base.
- Adjust the thickness of the soup by adding as much extra broth as you prefer. Bring to a simmer then taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Serve the soup topped with any of the suggested toppings.
* Make your own crispy roasted chickpeas if you cannot not find them in the store - drain and dry chickpeas, then toss with olive oil, salt, and seasoning of choice (we like paprika + cayenne). Roast on a sheet tray at 400°F for about 25 mins, stirring every 10 mins throughout.