Chicken Tzatziki Kebabs Recipe
A fresh version of kebabs with herbs and bright citrus.
It's finally time to break out the grill and sizzle up some mouthwatering meals! And we've got the perfect recipe to keep things fresh, delicious and nutritious at your summer cookouts this season - Chicken Tzatziki Kebabs.
The juicy and tender chicken is covered in a lemony garlic marinade, and the fresh herb explosion in the tzatziki is the perfect complement to the savory chicken and veggies.
We've elevated classic kebabs by using veggies like zucchini and marinated artichokes, giving these skewers a fun upgrade. And if you don't have access to a grill, no worries! You can still cook up these delicious and healthy kebabs on a grill pan or broil them in the oven.
Makes: 4 portions, roughly 8 skewers
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
- 3 chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes (pasture-raised if possible)
- 1 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise then cut into ½-inch slices
- 2 small red onions, cut into quarters
- 1 jar marinated artichokes
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ a lemon, juiced and zested
- ⅓ cup chopped parsley
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- sea salt for seasoning
- 1 ½ cups thick yogurt (we used Greek style)
- ½ a lemon juiced and zested
- ½ an english cucumber, coarsely grated
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- A handful of chopped parsley
- A handful of chopped dill
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- sea salt and black pepper for seasoning
- 2 ounces feta, as garnish
- A head of romaine lettuce, chopped
- Soak 8 wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes to prevent burning and preheat the grill, grill pan or broiler to medium-high heat.
- Drain the marinated artichokes and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the garlic clove, lemon juice and zest, chopped parsley, olive oil, and a pinch of sea salt. Set aside.
- Thread the chicken, zucchini, red onion, and marinated artichokes onto the skewers, alternating between each ingredient.
- Brush the skewers with the lemon garlic marinade. Then season with a bit more sea salt if needed.
- Place the skewers onto the preheated grill or grill pan and cook for about 10 minutes per side, or until the chicken is fully cooked and has reached an internal temperature of 165°F. Turn throughout the grilling process to avoid burning.
- While the skewers are cooking, prepare the tzatziki. Start by squeezing excess liquid out of the grated cucumber. Then combine the thick yogurt, lemon juice and zest, grated cucumber, crushed garlic cloves, chopped parsley and dill, cayenne pepper, and olive oil in a bowl. Mix well, then taste and season with sea salt and black pepper as desired.
- Once the skewers are fully cooked, remove them from the grill and let them rest for a minute or two before serving.
- Serve the chicken tzatziki kebabs warm, on top of some chopped romaine salad with a dollop of tzatziki over top, and garnish with feta cheese if desired. Enjoy!
For an entirely plant-based version of this recipe, swap the chicken for sprouted tofu and make sure to use a plant-based thick and creamy yogurt for the tzatziki. Reduce the cooking time as needed for the tofu.